Does life ever throw you such a curveball that you don’t know whether to swing or take the strike? Well, heed my advice: always swing, because you’ll never know if you’ll hit it out of the park.
October was an absolute whirlwind because I took a major leap and decided to apply for a new job. I had received news about the opening for the position on a Thursday, went for the interview on Friday, got offered the position on Saturday and accepted on Monday.
Let me explain: A friend (who actually got me the job I was at before) told me about an opening within the city I live in as a city planning assistant administrative and I figured ‘why not, what’s the worst that can happen?‘
Well, expect the worst but hope for the best: I immediately found out that I’d be making nearly double what I’m making now, incredible insurance and a pension. Oh, and a set Monday-Friday schedule, guaranteed weekends and holidays off.
Do I honestly need to say more? It was an absolute no brainer!
However, I’m anxious. I’m someone who gets complacent a lot and always needs a change, but I also love comfort and knowing that my position and my job are safe. I love new challenges and think I’ll be okay, but it’s like starting anything new, you’ll always be nervous at first. Consider it huge ‘first day of school’ jitters.
My two-and-a-half years as a sports writer have been nothing short of incredible. As a little girl, I always thought I wanted to be a reporter. Experiencing it first-hand, I appreciate all the opportunities I’ve had, but it’s time to move onto the next challenge in life.
Here are the goals I want to crush this November:
- Make the most of new opportunities: With the new month, I want to make the most of opportunities I’m given by trying anything new at least once. With taking a chance on this new job, I’ve learned that you won’t ever know if something works out if you don’t bite the bullet and go for it. Like taking that leap with the job, I’m so thrilled with the payoff that I want to see what else can be accomplished.
- Configure workout split: Since my schedule will be taking a drastic overhaul with the new job, finding the time to continue my fitness goals will be tricky. With the upcoming holiday season approaching, I find that my workout split might be taking a backseat, but I still want to remain consistent like I have been all year. Since I now work a set schedule (M-F 8:30-4:30 like a normal adult!), I might be able to start taking more yoga classes or pick up a class or two at the local YMCA.
- Continue to create content: My biggest concern with the new job is that I’m going to lose valuable time I work on creating this blog. To be honest, I spend a relatively big chunk of my workday writing for this site and with the new job, I’m almost certain I’ll be losing that proofing and editing time. Now will be important to start managing my time more efficiently if I want to keep this blog alive and spending a lot of time on those off days to create content.
- Continue saving money: In October’s Goal Digger, I mentioned that I wanted to start putting away money for Christmas spending and I did a hell of a job doing so by saving nearly $200 in the first month! With the new job, I’ll be making a lot more money and paying off student loans and credit card bills are at the top of my list of priorities. This month, I want to continue to build that Christmas gift fund while chipping away at those outstanding balances.
- Finish reading challenge for 2017: Mentioned long ago in my Resolutions post, I’m so close to finishing my reading challenge of 20 books in 2017! I’d like to give myself a month of flex to either continue to read or to take a break, so I’m hoping to knock out 20 books by the end of November. I’m currently on 18 of 20 with at least one in the hopper.
- Spend time with family/friends: With the holiday season approaching, it’s time to reflect on what’s important to us, and for me that’s the family and friends that help shape me into who I am today. With more time off, I’m excited to make more plans with friends and to make the best out of the most wonderful time of the year with those close to me. I’m someone who loves the holidays for creating memories and enjoying each other, so I’m excited what will be in the works for this season.
What are your goals this month? Leave them in a comment!